Sunday, March 30, 2014

Donating to the Homeless on the Corner

Sometimes I really feel bad for those holding up signs... no, I ALWAYS do.

Yesterday there was a guy (my age) and his dog, he played fetch with him for a minute or two before holding up a sign (I sooo wanted to take a pic of it) The front of the sign said "Traveling. Personal Jet needs fuel." The back of it had a arrow pointing up and said "Ugly as hell, but funny." We threw peace signs to each other.

I am still on my #40days40bags kick and was wondering how I could help out real people, in real need, daily, but on a whim.

Every time I leave Sam's Club I look for the man who stands near the stop sign. One day I offered him an apple and an orange. He took only the orange. I guess because you can peel the skin off.

Ok so food is out. I coupon.  I stockpile.  I had a new idea.  "Hobo bags" Things they might actually need... I came up with this:
Things I got for free while stockpiling... Toothpaste, tooth brush, floss, soap, razor, shampoo, lotion, q-tips, dish soap(?), lighted pocket mirror, nail files, a clean shirt ripped into rags, a handful of quarters...  Several of these things were free with coupons or samples or from hotels... I'm not a hoarder, I have this all planned out in my head and get excited when I can execute it.

So I dont know how helpful all of this is to someone who has nothing, but I put together a few bags and will keep them in my car for when I see someone on a corner.

What do you think?
What would you have included?

No comments: