First tip was to shop local, pick from the vine if you can... but I did NOT know you could seal it!!! Check it out -
Clean and Seal:
- Clean the exterior of the pumpkin with a damp cloth.
- Fill a spray bottle with this bleach solution = 1 tablespoon of bleach per quart of water.
- Carve your pumpkin. Use one of these FREE Pumpkin Carving Templates
- After carving, spray all the carved areas of the pumpkin and thoroughly spray the inside as well. This will kill the surface bacteria that can cause rotting.
- Allow the bleach solution to penetrate and dry for appoximately 20 minutes
- Once dry, rub all of the carved surfaces with petroleum jelly. This keeps new bacteria out and reduces dehydration (wrinkled pumpkin face).
- Wipe away excess petroleum jelly with a paper towel.