Thursday, January 26, 2012

To err is human... but oh-so-humbling.

So I told you today there was a deal that I royally botched! So I wont be posting my own Reader Trip this week.. sorry, but it would be too confusing and it was all sorts of wrong.

So the Rotel Diced Tomatoes 10 oz were BOGO $1.49
  -$1.50/3 Rotel diced tomatoes (Publix coupon), Publix $40 Conagra Rebate booklet
  -.55/3 Rotel diced tomatoes (Publix coupon), 10 oz, Yellow Advantage flyer
  -B2G1 Rotel Sauce WYB (2) Tomatoes SS 1/22
(in FL, buy (6) use $1.50/3 and .55/3, makes it 39¢ ea + (3) Free sauce)

But there was a blinkie for $1/2
I confirmed with the manager that I could use the B2G1 + the $1/2
My thinking was that the B2G1 means that the coupon is for #3 (that is correct)
The $1/2 can be used on the BOGO and I can still use the Publix $.55/3 store coupon...

It all sounded great. I got 24, even number, multiples of 3.
But I got home and realized that the $1/2 was for RED GOLD... and sure enough, I bought the RED GOLD (14 oz), not the Rotel which was on BOGO.. and I was charged for each one $1.39.

I didnt even bother trying to figure out where my mistake was, I needed to get back and straighten it out while the coupons were still in a pile on the register.

Had I gotten the Rotel
1.49 BOGO x 24 = $18
B2G1 = subtract $17.88
8 x $.55/3 = Subtract $4.44
Total = $4.28 OVERAGE

Had I gotten the Red Gold and used the correct coupons (not all of them that I did)
1.39 x 24 = $33.36
12 x $1/2 = Subtract $12
Total = $21.36 OWED

What I did was Red Gold with all of the coupons (TOTALLY WRONG - D'oh!)
1.39 x 24 = $33.36
8 x $.55/3 = Subtract $4.44
12 x $1/2 = Subtract $12
B2G1 = subtract $11.12
Total = $5.80 OWED

Not to mention the B2G1 was Get 1 SAUCE. So where as I could have MADE money on the deal, I lost money... and traded 24 cans of 14 oz for 24 cans of 10 oz... Even when the manager told me not to worry about it, even tried to give me money back after reringing it all, I couldn't NOT worry about it... and with all the coupon confusion I didnt even want the money back.. who knew what was right at that point. My head was spinning.

And I hope no one else takes couponing lightly either. It is easy to make a mistake. SO EASY! But someone has to pay for it and if you constantly make mistakes and don't try to fix them, then it looks bad on you and remember - Your Integrity is at stake!

While I am embarrassed to admit all this mess, if it even makes since outside of my brain, I hope that it shows to others that it's normal to make mistakes, even after doing this for however long we all have been doing this... but dont just say that someone else should have caught it, make it right... or try your best to!

No comments: