Friday, July 02, 2010

I am now 1228 ounces lighter

I knew when I had Atlas that I wanted to breast feed. My sister had trouble and never gave up and was very successful at EBF. I feared I would have trouble too. In the beginning I thought I was going to have trouble. One side went completely flat, I kid you not. I started taking Fenugreek (a vitamin) and my supply came back and I have been pumping and storing since week number 2.

Today I donated 1228 ounces to Get PUMPed. It is an amazing organization started less than a year ago for baby Sarah when her mother Jennifer passed away in her sleep when Sarah was only 6 weeks old. Jennifer's girlfriends all vowed to somehow keep Sarah fed how Jennifer would have liked. Not only has Sarah been completely fed by breast milk, these women have also fed many other babies that are facing extraordinary circumstances.

I think that was one of the most emotional things I have ever done. I KNEW I wanted to but it wasn't until it was bagged, labeled and ready to go that I realized that THIS nourishment was what I was not giving him and it made me kinda sad. He is not lacking, but it is still hard to think I am taking it from him. My baby is feeding 2 babies exclusively for 1 full month. That is something to be proud of. I am still trying to wrap my mind around the whole thing.

Mooooooooooooooooooooo

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful! I too have donated milk and it is such a wonderful thing to do. I have over 500 ounces waiting to be picked up next week.

BeaDandelion said...

I think what makes Get PUMPed unique is that 100% of it is consumed by a baby as opposed to about half when donated to a milk bank. AND 100% of it is free to the babies in need, as opposed to $17 an ounce like the milk banks charge

BeaDandelion said...

Anonymous, how old is your baby and how long have you been donating?

Anonymous said...

I found a mom on milk share so I give to her directly. I nursed my son until he was 2 and donated hundreds of ounces with him. Now, I have a 4 month old and I've donated 900 ounces so far. It is my favorite way to give back.

Anonymous said...

I found a mom on milk share so I give to her directly. I nursed my son until he was 2 and donated hundreds of ounces with him. Now, I have a 4 month old and I've donated 900 ounces so far. It is my favorite way to give back.

BeaDandelion said...

that's awesome!!! and congrats on your baby!!! we are 1 month behind you!

was it kinda hard to let it go the first time you donated?

Lizzy-Tallahassee, FL said...

I am so glad to be a part of GetPUMPed as well. I can certainly understand your feelings of 'guilt' for giving away the milk. I struggled and cried when I made my first donation and thought, "How can I give this away and take this away from my daughter?" But with the milk I was producing I was ok of course all at the same time. I am so happy and proud that I am able to do this and very glad to know that I am not the only 'cow' donating!

LIZZY!! ;-) mooo!

cristiniscouponcrazy said...

i really enjoyed reading this post as well as the comments. i am going to add a link to this on my sunday sharing post tonight:)

BeaDandelion said...

ahhh you're so sweet!! Can you email me the link?