Saturday, January 02, 2010

Car Issues - Ranting (warning long)

I always thought Kia's were cheap. They are... surprised they have radios in them. I hear they have gotten safer and wont crumple into a pile of scrap when hit. I pray I never find out.

I was to the wire in early 2007 when I started car shopping. Generally my grandfather would help me search. I LOVE used cars from old old people! Pay 3000 cash, they last 5-6+ years, little maintenance, ideal! So early 2007 I started looking thinking I had some time to shop. In May it died.

Picture this: On my way to work, in Orlando, skinny little 28 year old white girl stuck in the middle of a road, in a bad area of town, hood up, at 11:15PM. I worked overnights. Luckily a sheriff's deputy stopped and we got my car to a empty lot and he drove me to work. My fiance at the time worked opposite from me at the same radio station and when he got off work, he drove me home.

We went to the Kia dealership that night or the next, test drove a few, mentioned we would come back the next day. They high pressured us into staying and byt he third threat of walking out or getting something done, they agreed to $1500 less than sticker price (which was still tooooo much... its.a.Kia.dude.) They accepted my car, as is, not there.. not sure we could GET it there, for $500. Suckers.

Yesterday I drove out to Camp Wilderness in Disney to pick up a crib mattress from a girlfriend from high school that I have not seen in 13 years! In the rain, it didn't bother laughing, it just would not start. Someone drove by with a battery pack and jumped it. Made it home. Tried to turn it on immediately and it clicked, but nothing. I took the keys out and put them back in... not even a click. Damn it.

Our Kia dealership was bought out with the whole "save our cars bailout bs" and I guess with that went their complimentary car borrow program. BUT being at only 29K miles I still have bumper to bumper warranty in case it is the alternator, I still have warrenty on the battery (under 3 years) and I still have roadside assistance and towing... dunno why, but GREAT as we can't get it to jump or turn over at ALL this morning.

However the service center closes at 2pm (Saturday) and doesn't re-open until Monday. I work Sunday 2:30-11:30PM... THANKFULLY I work for the best company in the world (amazing benefits too!!! 18$ sonograms? yeah nice!) and my boss is going to let me drive a company car home tomorrow night!

So while Kia's may still be cheap pieces of crap, I have been generally pleased with their levels of service. ... now if only Orlando towing company was a little quicker I might have a chance of getting my car fixed and home by the time they close... oh well, counting the small Blessings.

No comments: